Mathieu Lacroix is a composer, sound programmer, musician and producer living in Trondheim, Norway.
His works vary from chamber music with electronics to extreme metal and avant-prog. His music has been played in a short time on three continents, varying from small gigs to large stages all around the world. He has played at festivals such as Trondheim Chamber Music Festival (NO), Manifeste (FRA), Mixtur (SPA), Resilience Festival (ITA), Epitcentroom (RUS), jemFEST (USA) and many more. Recently, this has also included working on sound installations and videography.
He is especially interested in exploring instrumental gestures combined with electronics and how the relationship between both soundworlds can be influence by various types of relationships. He is also interested in multichannel audio and various programming practices. His music embraces the language of contemporary music while also retaining some of the essence and energy of popular musics.
His time is split between working with the Trondheim Sinfonietta, Electric Audio Unit with Natasha Barrett and Ernst van der Loo, and Electroacoustic Trondheim with Frank Ekeberg.
His main field of research is the relationships in the synchronization of classical performers and electronics. He is also interested in looking at the commonalities between contemporary music and more popular forms of music, and multichannel audio. His main instruments are electronics and Chapman stick. He holds a PhD from NTNU on synchronization in mixed music.
He is currently an associate professor in music composition and production at Inland Norway University of Applied Sciences (INN). He has taught at the Norwegian Institute of Science and Technology (NTNU), Nord University and given guest lectures at various institutions.
- Art Music Composers & Interaction (2022) – Innovative Computer-based Music Interfaces (ICMI) Proceedings 2022
- Review of Harold Clarks Memoire: New music in the light of nobleness – A Scandinavian Dream (2022) – Studia Musicologica Norvegica
- Strykekvartetter og elektronikk: et blikk på et glemt repertoar (2021) – Studia Musicologica Norvegica
- The Interface as an Extension of Composition in Mixed Music (2020) – Proceedings of International Conference on Live Interfaces 2020
- Deus Ex Machina: Methods, Processed and Analysis of Mixed Music (2018) – Electroacoustic Music Studies Network Proceedings for 2018
- Adaptive Parameters in Mixed Music (23.10.2017) – Cross Adaptive Processing as Musical Intervention
- The Producer/Composer: the hybridization of roles and how it affects production and composition of contemporary music (2016) – NTNU
- Hva innebærer «HiFi-lyd»? (21.05.2015) – Ballade
- Da programmert musikk var nytt (23.02.2015) – Ballade
- En støyguru i Trondheim (18.08.2014) – Ballade